The UK's fastest growing and largest independent energy supplier is seeking a Senior Software Engineer with experience with Devops to join the Software Development team.
First Utility is committed to helping customers reduce their energy bills through the use of innovative technology, by offering cheaper tariffs and campaigning for industry change.
We are the 'Growing Business Awards' Growing Business of the Year 2014 and the only energy company to have been listed in the fast track 100 for four consecutive years. Our CTO Bill Wilkins ranks as number 10 in the top 100 CTOs to work for in the UK.
This is a key role within the development team building advanced software solutions for our growing energy and telco business.
Working in a highly agile environment our already established DevOps team are critical towards aligning application development process and operation requirements by encouraging DevOps and Microservice principles.
You will be embedded in a development area to support and champion DevOps and continuous delivery principles with that team, whilst collaborating with other DevOps, software and operational engineers to ensure a consistent, resilient and dynamic approach.
The way we build and test is critical to successful delivery as we continue to move towards microservices architecture, continuous delivery and more of the steps required become hands off.
As the company grows our teams will continue to be presented many technical challenges, our ability to find and adopt new technologies that support our growth is increasingly important. Some of the technologies we now rely on include Docker, Cassandra and Kafta.
Areas of specific responsibility
- Work with delivery teams to support their delivery of quality software solutions through the use of automation
- Work with other DevOps engineers and technical operational engineers to continually improve the infrastructure and platform
- Work with delivery teams to support their ability to monitor and manage their own applications in the production environment
- Delivery automation will encompass a variety of technologies, including databases, web services and web front ends
- Appropriate documentation to share knowledge about the solutions, processes, frameworks and other technical subjects
The desirable candidate will have
- Proficient in at least one programming language
- A basic understanding of RESTful services
- The ability to write clear, concise code that adheres to commercial standards
- A strong understanding of Agile and DevOps principles
- An understanding of continuous integration/delivery principles
- Some experience with Linux, e.g. Ubuntu, CentOS
- Knowledge of some scripting languages, e.g. bash, python, ruby
- Willing to learn new technologies and apply them
- Excellent communication skills with technical peers and non-technical colleagues
- An analytical approach to producing solutions
- Experience working within agile frameworks, e.g. Scrum
- A working knowledge of continuous integration practices
- Experience with version control systems, e.g. Git
- Docker/containers - particularly in the context of development, testing, and use in production
- Configuration management; Puppet
- Microservice principles and technologies; service discovery (Consul), service scheduling (Swarm, Mesos, Kubernetes)
- Queuing technologies; JMS, HornetQ, ActiveMQ, Kafka
- Support applications in a production
- Monitoring applications, using tools such as nagios, newrelic, statsd
- Automated testing
- Cloud platform; AWS
- Virtualisation; VMWare, Vagrant, Virtualbox
- Infrastructure as code; Terraform, cloudformation
- The energy industry
As well as a rewarding career, development opportunities and competitive salary, you'll also enjoy 25 days holiday (plus Bank Holidays), pension, option to purchase childcare vouchers, and become eligible for our staff energy tariff along with other great ad-hoc offers
We believe in putting energy into looking after our teams, so you'll benefit from BUPA Private Healthcare, cycle to work scheme, a great working environment with relaxation areas to recharge your batteries and free soft drinks available all day. We also have "Fruity Friday" where fresh fruit is available every week for all employees.
To apply please click the APPLY button.