Senior Business Analyst, Corporate Information Services - Canterbury Christ Church University
Working as a Senior Business Analyst, Corporate Information Services for Canterbury Christ Church University
- Canterbury Christ Church University
- Date posted:
- Job type:
- Salary Type:
- Salary Description:
- Excellent Benefits
Job DescriptionSenior Business Analyst, Corporate Information Services
About Canterbury Christ Church University
We are a modern, friendly university, renowned for academic excellence, a welcoming atmosphere and strong community spirit. Based in the historic city of Canterbury, with four other campuses throughout the beautiful county of Kent, the University offers excellent teaching facilities in unique and inspiring locations.
2012 will be a special year for Canterbury Christ Church University, as we celebrate a milestone in our history - our Golden Jubilee. As we reflect on 50 years of growth and success, we look forward to the next 50 years of education and innovation.
We are the largest centre of higher education in Kent for the public services - notably teacher training, nursing, policing, health and social care - and a significant provider of programmes in a wide range of academic and professional areas. In total we offer over a thousand academic and professional study programmes at undergraduate and postgraduate level.
Corporate Information Services
The Corporate Information Services (CIS) department is based at the Canterbury campus, as part of the Resources Directorate. CIS provides innovative business solutions and information services to the wider University. The department is now made up of three main teams: Business partnerships, Design and Development; and Business Systems Support who working together will modernise the Department and enable a more commercially focussed approach in terms of the services provided. The department manages and develops the enterprise business and educational information systems of the university including HR, Finance and Student Systems.
The Senior Business Analyst will be responsible for eliciting, defining and validating business, process, functional and non-functional requirements relating to business systems and process change. The role holder will be expected to build strong relationships with key business partners, and ensure that IT enabled solutions support the strategic goals of the University through the shaping and evaluation of business cases. A key requirement will be the ability to also undertake an internal lead role in the project management of those products the Department is tasked with providing to ensure they are delivered on time, within budget and to agreed quality standards.
- Effective contribution towards the delivery of CIS strategy and services.
- Efficient and effective translation of the business problems of key stakeholders into specific software, business, process, functional and non-functional requirements that meet business needs.
- Project management of internal products and changes to ensure they are delivered on time, whilst meeting agreed quality criteria.
- Providing support, guidance and consultancy to key business partners concerning the creation and evaluation of business cases/project proposals as well as best practices relating to project management and requirements definition.
- Manage changes to baseline requirements and project/team plans through the effective application of change control processes.
- Work closely with the senior technical staff, business partners and key users in defining, agreeing and implementing test plans to ensure business requirements are met.
- Design, develop and deliver training programmes to relevant technical staff and end users, as required.
- Effective and timely communication with key business partners concerning relevant ICT developments and progress on technical deliverables.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Substantial experience of business analysis in a commercial environment using a variety of methodologies and techniques.
- Experience of documenting business, functional and non-functional requirements.
- IT project management experience using a formal methodology, ideally including project estimating and planning within a complex stakeholder environment.
- Experience in defining test plans and managing user acceptance testing.
- Experience of process analysis including the definition of As Is' and To Be' processes using a variety of methodologies and notations.
- Experience of relationship management and the management of business change.
- Holder of PRINCE2 Practitioner or equivalent Project Management qualification.
- Motivated and resourceful. Able to adapt rapidly to changing priorities and meet challenging deadlines. Proven adaptability.
- Effective leader and communicator within multi skilled Project Teams.
- Ability to motivate and lead staff to be pro-active, innovative and change-oriented in delivering projects on time, within budget and to agreed quality standards.
Benefits PackageAs an employer of choice Canterbury Christ Church University offers an extensive benefits package including the following:
- Salary package: Grade J: £35,938 - £44,166
- 25 days holiday and bank holidays (plus discretionary leave over the Christmas period)
- Final salary pension scheme
- Staff discount on local amenities
- Staff development opportunities
For further details and to apply online please visit apply now.
Closing date: Wednesday 6 June 2012. Interview date: Tuesday 19 June 2012.